Mar 13, 2009

Still get my pay cheques BUT .......

So today is 13th March 09, Friday the 13th, and my company had decided a couple of months back that this would be the day when the employees would know whether they have a job or not and also this would be the day when they hand out the bonuses from last year. So basically everyone spend the last couple of months worrying about their status, it was business as usual but there were times when you couldn’t help but wonder whether you would have a job or not.

So anyways as I was in my cube earlier today my manager came up to me and told me he wanted to have a word with me. We then went to his cube and he told me “your job is secure”. I felt relived, I told him so, and that I had certain things lined up back home and that keeping this job means a lot to me. And thanked him for the confidence that he had shown in me. It was over in a matter of minutes, something you were thinking about for the past 2 months got over before you could even blink twice. I then made all the customary phones calls to ma, jiza, Neha, bhaisaaheb, uncle-aunty. Everyone told me they were very happy for me and glad that things worked out for me. I told Neha that we would go out for dinner tonight and celebrate the occasion.

An hour flew by and I heard news about some of my colleagues not making the cut. 3 cubicles around me would now be empty. Friends that I worked with for quite sometime now wouldn’t be around. I prayed to give them and their family the strength to survive these difficult times. I called Neha and she immediately realized that I was feeling very sad, depressed. It was as if everything around was gloomy and dark. You always hear these numbers, around 668,000 jobs lost in the month of February, 650,000 jobs lost in January and for us these are just numbers. But its when you look around do you realize that behind each of these numbers there are dreams, there is a family to support, there are emotional set backs, there are uncertainties. I know "whoever you believe in" has plans for everybody and things will work out eventually for everyone. I pray that he gives them the courage to face it all and not forget that in spite of the hardships he is still with them and looking after them.

I can’t help but quote a few lines that I truly believe in

“Jo hota hia aache ke liye hota hai and ek wajah ke liye hota hai”

“Agar mann ki ho to aacha, agar nahi to aur bhi aacha”

“Yadi aap koi cheez sache mann se karte ho to aapko kabhi nirash nahi hona chahiye”

1 comment:

  1. sunny,it is the company's gain that they rightly chose to have you.
    it's understandable to feel sad for ur friends.hopefully,something better awaits them.
    i m glad that u believe in what has always been my mantra - "everything happens for a reason".
    love you.U r the best.

    ReplyDelete